We are pleased to announce that we have submitted proposed rules affecting records management regulations to the Office of the Federal Register. We are proposing these regulation changes to reflect the Managing Government Records Directive and updates to the Federal Records Act. We also want to account for changes in technology, practice, and NARA’s organization structure.
The specific 36 CFR Chapter XII Subchapter B regulations proposed for revision are:
- Part 1223, Managing Vital Records;
- Part 1224, Records Disposition Programs;
- Part 1227, General Records Schedules;
- Part 1229, Emergency Authorization to Destroy Records;
- Part 1232, Transfer of Records to Records Storage Facilities;
- Part 1233, Transfer, Use, and Disposition of Records in a NARA Federal Records Center; and
- Part 1239, Program assistance and Inspections.
We invite you to access the Notice For Proposed Rulemaking on regulations.gov to review these proposed changes. They will be available for comment through May 9, 2016. Comments should be made through the comment process on regulations.gov.